Saturday, June 3, 2017

Sticky Nature Wall {Baby Nature Play}

Hi all lovely mumma’s out there! It’s Mumma Lozz here and I’m excited to be bringing you another blog. In May in the playful baby series the focus is on nature. Exploring nature is fantastic for children’s learning and development. Exploring nature supports their physical, social, emotional and sensory development, just to list a few. The benefits are endless. 

To be 100% honest with you, I am not an outdoor person. The very thought of bush walking sends shivers down my spine. A cup of tea and being snuggled under a blanket watching a movie is much more my speed. Of course there are definitely things I love about outside (walking along the beach with my feet in the water) but I am very much a homebody.

However since having Turtle my whole perspective of being in nature has changed. I want to make sure that turtle has every opportunity to explore outside and I have most recently discovered and realised that letting children explore nature doesn’t have to be big as planning a big bush walk or going to the beach, it can be so simple as letting them walk on the grass without shoes on or letting them throw autumn leaves up in the air. For our activity in May I wanted to bring the outdoors inside! Turtle has an interest in posting and sorting toys and I found this activity from Kids Play Box on Pinterest (you should defintely check it out-their spring time flowers look absolutely stunning!) for a nature sticky wall.

The activity:

What you need:

·         Clear contact roll
·         scissors
·         duct tape
·         nature pieces from outside


Set up:

It was super easy to set up.

·         If I had been slightly more organised I would of liked to have gathered things from outside with Turtle, but because she was asleep I went into our garden a picked some different types of flowers as well as some grass.
·         Once inside I found a cane basket to put them in – I decided to have two baskets so she could post from one basket to the other if she wanted too.
·         I cut out a large square of clear contact and with the sticky side facing away from the window peeled back enough tape each side so I could tape it to the window then once it was attached I removed the rest of the tape.
·         I decided to add two books so Turtle could make a connections between the flowers in the book to the flowers in the basket.
·         Wait for Turtle to wake up



The activity:

Every time I think about how it went I can’t help but giggle. This is what happened in dot points, because it’s so funny!

·         Turtle gets up
·         I sat there excitedly waiting for her to notice
·         She noticed and kept doing her own thing
·         Came over, explored the flowers through her fingers. Tipped the flowers out and walked off
·         Came back, I showed her how to stick one on and she then stuck a couple on and played for a bit then walked away
·         I sat there happily and made pretty patterns with the flowers
·         Turtle comes over takes them all off and walks away.
·         Repeat last two steps over and over again.

Maybe I had more fun then Turtle! Not really, children will learn in their own way and in their own time and Turtle is no exception, she explored the flowers the way she wanted and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Definitely doing this activity again. So simple and easy :) See you all soon!


This month we are giving away a set of Grimm's 2017 Building Pebbles-Water. All you have to do is share how your baby plays with or in nature on Instagram (#playfulbabychallenge @squigglesandbubbles @loving_naturally @squishelsandme @mummy_loz @xoxo_beautiful_chaos_xoxo) or on Squiggles and Bubbles' Facebook Page before the 15th of June 2017, for all the fine print click here.

http://squigglesandbubbles.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/playfulbaby.html


If you liked this you may also like The Curse of the Third Child. Just click the picture to read all about it!

http://squigglesandbubbles.blogspot.com.au/2017/05/the-curse-of-third-child-baby-nature.html

Please always supervise your infant/child at play.  Please stay within arms reach and never leave infants/children unattended.  You know you're infant/child best, use your own judgement-considering your infant/child's temperament, habits, behaviour and development before you play with a new play medium.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment