Monday, March 27, 2017

Tired Mumma=Sensory Play {Baby Sensory Play}

Hello Beautiful Mummas. Another month, another blog, and this month we are delving into sensory play. Little Turtle has now turned 11 months and she is in to EVERYTHING! As exciting as it is to see Turtle learning so much new cool stuff, let’s face it, she has become a cute little tornado and I’m sure lots of other mummas can concur.

Leading into this month, I was so excited to explore sensory play. For those who have not heard about sensory play, it is play that encourages children to use their senses of touch, sight, sound, smell, taste, balance and movement. Sensory play supports brain development. I like to call sensory play “messy play”, because at work it’s the play that the children LOVE, but adults don’t like cleaning it up! Sensory play is something that I’m sure most people do, without even realising! Sensory play is something that you can have loads of fun with, but is so simple, whether it’s sand play, a bath filled with water and plastic balls, gooey goop play, or simply exploring grass in a park.

Leading up to March, I knew precisely what I wanted to do. Turtle absolutely loves the water, so I knew I wanted to make it a water activity. I thought coloured ice cubes would be really cool to add to her bath one night. I recently bought a silicon ice cube tray for a couple of dollars from Kmart. I added water, then food colouring to each cube. If you do decide to try this, only use one drop of food dye, as it can stain the skin if you use to much. I was also wanting to add a different texture so I added a peg to each one and then stuck it in the freezer. So organised!……..Well sort of………

Put it this way, this month has been a little crazy. Between working, cleaning and looking after Turtle, I got so caught up in routine that I kept forgetting to do the activity. This particular day was a grump day. Turtle was in a “lovely” foul mood and just was not settling (more teeth coming through). It was such a warm day and I really wanted to set up her cute new mushroom paddling pool, so she had a chance to cool down.  It was a great opportunity to try out the coloured ice cubes! I was very excited! 

Ice cube play can also be done in the bath, high-chair tray, a big bowl or just a baking tray. This activity was seriously so easy. I popped the child in the pool then put the ice cubes in front of her! She, at first, had the very amusing face of “What is this Mum?”, then picked them up with the peg part and happily licked it, like a icypole. The cutest! At first, I only had the icecubes in the pool, but then I decided to add water to the pool, to add more excitement for her and to add a different texture for her to feel with her hands. This she loved, as she could then splash the water and very intriguingly watched the ice cubes melt.


Definitely a quick easy activity for all busy mummas out there.  In our world today, there is so much technology that constantly grabs our attention. I believe it’s so important to engage with our children. We get so caught up with life, that we forget to LIVE our lives.

Nothing wrong with chilling out on the couch with a movie though! or watching the Lion King’s Hakuna Matata (Turtle’s favourite song at the moment) on Youtube :)

This month we are giving away a Grimm's Medium Stacking Fire. All you have to do is share how you engage in sensory play, for all the fine print click here.
http://squigglesandbubbles.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/playfulbaby.html


You may also like Create Your Own Rockpool. Just click the picture to read all about it. 
http://squigglesandbubbles.blogspot.com.au/2017/03/create-your-own-rockpool-baby-sensory.html


Please always supervise your infant/child at play.  Please stay within arms reach and never leave infants/children unattended.  You know you're infant/child best, use your own judgement-considering your infant/child's temperament, habits, behaviour and development before you play with a new play medium.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment